When Easter seasons starts, many days are consider being mention during this day. Among them, the most important day is Ash Wednesday. Ash Wednesday is the day when Christians performs the prayers by fasting and repentance. This day is followed by Shrove Tuesday and comes during the first day of Lent. This day is followed by other religions also.
As we can see the importance of this day by its name Ash Wednesday. During this day ashes are delivered by saying that you are dust and you are made of dust so shall you return to dust. These ashes can be prepared by palm leaves which are celebrated on Palm Sunday. Jesus was the one who performs almost 40 days of fasting during this month before the Ash Wednesday.
Ash Wednesday history
Ash Wednesday according to the Christian community comes between the February and March which means it starts from the 6th weeks before the Easter. Ash Wednesday is also a symbol of grief which shows us all going to die and become ash. During this day it’s inappropriate to go on shopping, play music or celebrate. Many people keep the ashes till evening so that they can observe the grief.
Ash Wednesday is consider being the most import day of Christian community during this day clergy uses the ashes which were burned last year on the Palm Sunday mix them with olive oil and mark a symbol of the cross on the head of the worshipper. This symbol shows the sign of repentance. This day starts to take place from the Era of Rome and become as a public penance on the very first day of Lent. People are sprinkled with ashes and dress in coats until they receive blessings from church on Maundy Thursday.
Ash Wednesday date
Ash Wednesday is performed on 46 days before Easter Sunday. This day is observed by Catholics. During this day people repeat words like “Repent and also believe in the Gospel.” This year Ash Wednesday is going to be celebrated on March 6, 2019. The date can vary from Easter calendar.
Facts about Ash Wednesday
There are many interesting facts about this day which all should know:
- This day is not the holy day of obligation all communities of Roman Catholics are asked to get together to start the beginning season of Lenten.
- When ashes are marked on the head, it reminds us about our mortality and repentance. During this day all the churches perform different prayers with the one who are already living there and those who come for the service.
- This day also shows the reflection of Jesus sacrifice as this was the day when Jesus did 40 days of fasting.
- According to the bible during this day palm is used to mark symbol on the forehead, and few words are spoken as “You are dust and to dust you are going to return.”
- Ashes are somehow made by burning the palm leaves which are then stored for a year so that when Ash Wednesday comes, it can be used.